Thursday, June 23, 2011

Internal Debate

I wish I was able to find more time to sit down and write about everything that has been happening with our group! It seems like everyday we find ourselves in the midst of a new adventure and a brand new encounter with our amazing God. I still find myself overwhelmed with awe that He is so faithful to reveal Himself to us in a new way every day. I feel like this is something I say a lot, but it is so true! He has been so faithful to our group the last four and a half weeks and we are so blessed.

Even though we find ourselves going through virtually the same routine everyday, I find myself constantly refreshed in our times of worship. Only one part of each concert that I had difficulty reconciling as worship, though, was our spoken introductions to the songs. Each members of the group takes a few moments to give a brief explanation or thought before a song during the program. This serves to make the concerts more personable and to provide a worship focus for the audience. Typically, we end up say about the same thing each night for “our song”. This bothered me, though, because I felt like it was very rehearsed and, therefore, not genuine. Even though I had a solid introduction that worked well in the repertoire, I found myself scrambling to say something different every night.

Finally, I did what I should have done in the beginning and went to the Lord in prayer over this internal debate. I asked that if He wanted me to share what I had been previously on that particular night, He make it clear or reveal something new. I realized then that its not necessarily what we are saying that matters, but the heart behind it. In the same way that singing the same songs each night can still be an act of true worship when our hearts are in the right place, so what we say needs to be a genuine reflection of what God is saying. What a relief and a challenge found in one moment! For with that realization came the responsibility of ensuring that I am doing just so each night, each concert, each song. Such a beautiful reflection of our responsibility as Christians growing in their faith, who must continually allow their hearts to submit to the Greater Lord we serve.

He must increase; I must decrease.

-John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment